LiveWire Network Peer Answers Peer Support Teen Forums Tech Forums College Forums 232 users online 275509 members 30 active today Advertise Here Sign In
TeenCollegeTechPhotos | Quizzes | LiveSecret | Memberlist | Dictionary | FAQ
You have 1 new message.
Emergency Help
Until you sign up you can't do much. Yes, it's free.

Membername:
Password:
Already have an account?
Invite Friends
Active Members
Groups
Contests
Moderators
0 online / 0 MPM
Fresh Topics
  LiveWire / My Forums / Prof Reviews / History / Detail

(+) Add Review
Charlip, Julie
History
Average Rating: 5.7
Reviews
Posted April 17, 2009 at 4:58pm
Teaching Style: Mixture
Grading: Hard
Availability Outside Class: Good
Homework Load: High
Latin American History

Overall Rating: 8.0

Recommended
Comments:
Charlip is a great professor. She's certainly controversial in that her views don't reflect U.S. political values, but she offers a point of view that is difficult to find. She keeps an open mind, too. I recommend her to those who want to learn, and who are willing to work hard for an A. She definitely does not hand them out like free candy. Also, if you're politically close-minded, you probably will dislike her.
Posted May 15, 2008 at 12:34am
Teaching Style: Mainly Lecture
Grading: Average
Availability Outside Class: Average
Homework Load: Average
Modern Latin America: Hist 188

Overall Rating: 2.0

Not Recommended
Comments:
Charlip is inconsistent and doesn't respond well to questions. The class is entirely lecture-based. She also gave us a quiz that was a crossword puzzle with questions that no one knew how to answer, and when we mentioned it in class, she brushed it off. She's condescending and the fact that she uses her own text as the primary reader in the class means you get to quote her back to herself in the essays. The readings are unnecessary because she just repeats them during the lectures, so don't waste your time. A better way not to waste time would be not to take the class at all.
Posted May 9, 2008 at 6:49pm
Homework Load: Low
Modern Latin America

Overall Rating: 2.0

Not Recommended
Comments:
Professor Charlip spent every class period lecturing us on why the US is awful, and responsible for every problem in Latin America. Although a lot (if not all) of what she said was true, I was tired of being told about it, and felt we didn't learn very much in the class.

The class is designed to cover more than a century of history for a continent and a half. This is a ridiculous expectation, and therefore we learned a tiny blurb about a ton of different things, but didn't learn much if anything from a historical point of view - we simply memorized.
Posted Nov. 6, 2007 at 4:04pm
Teaching Style: Mainly Discussion
HIST 201

Overall Rating: 7.0

Neutral
Comments:
Methodologies is a bitch, but Charlip is fine. She is very accommodating to extensions and relates well to students.
Posted Nov. 6, 2007 at 1:21pm
hist 188 modern latin america

Overall Rating: 8.0

Recommended
Comments:
If you are attached to the idea of an A coming your way just because you put in a little effort, you won't like Charlip overmuch. But if your goal in taking her class is to be taught by a passionate and informed individual for whom the material is very clearly alive and relevant, then there is no way to *not* love Charlip.

She has been clear in class lectures and she also has been a wonderful help and conversationalist in her office hours, which she is always willing to extend.

She won't make it easy, sure-- but she'll make it worthwhile, and she'll ask for your input.

Take even just the littlest bit of initiative to her classroom and you will be rewarded.
Posted Nov. 4, 2007 at 5:28pm
Modern Latin America

Overall Rating: 7.0

Neutral
Comments:
Overall, lecture tends to be a bit dull, but she's definitely passionate about the material and very knowledgeable. She also does a good job of managing class discussions when they happen, although some historical figures (Che, Evita, etc.) are frustratingly reified above criticsm.
Posted Jan. 18, 2007 at 7:44pm
Modern Latin America

Overall Rating: 5.0

Not Recommended
Comments:
After hearing her captivating convocation address a couple years ago, I made a mental note to take a class from her. Unfortunetely I was thoroughly disappointed.

Class was either wildly unorganized or structured to the point of ridiculousness. Lectures were almost word for word out of HER textbook which proved problematic in my eyes. Class "discussions" were painfully forced with no clear direction.

As far as papers, she was very unclear about her expectations then graded you down if you were unable to read her mind. In a class of 30 students only five got a B+ or above on the first paper. Grades are obviously not the end all be all, but it seems to further illustrate her lack of expectations and guidelines.

Posted Jan. 3, 2007 at 3:22pm
Teaching Style: Mixture
core

Overall Rating: 6.0

Neutral
Comments:
My main complaint of Julie is how difficult her grading is. Her grading of papers seemed to grade more on grammer than on the content. I received the same grade on all of my papers, and felt that there was no way I could improve with the corrections she was giving me. She isn't the worst teacher that I've had on campus, but she's definately not one of the best.
Posted April 17, 2006 at 10:01pm
Homework Load: Low
Modern Latin America

Overall Rating: 6.0

Neutral
Comments:
Modern Latin America, as a title for the course, is deceiving because we spend the majority of the course going over history from the colonial era on. It's almost the end of the semester and we're just now getting to revolutions in the 20th century. Basically, the class was on too broad a scope so I feel like I have almost no depth of knowledge of Latin American history, let alone any knowledge of MODERN Latin America. However, the material was fairly interesting and Julie is an accessable, helpful, and animated prof. Beware, for this class she also uses her own textbook as our only history text. I think that perhaps Julie is a good professor, but that this class is just not well managed/constructed.