LiveWire Network Peer Answers Peer Support Teen Forums Tech Forums College Forums 232 users online 275509 members 30 active today Advertise Here Sign In
TeenCollegeTechPhotos | Quizzes | LiveSecret | Memberlist | Dictionary | FAQ
You have 1 new message.
Emergency Help
Until you sign up you can't do much. Yes, it's free.

Membername:
Password:
Already have an account?
Invite Friends
Active Members
Groups
Contests
Moderators
0 online / 0 MPM
Fresh Topics
  LiveWire / My Forums / Prof Reviews / Music / Detail

(+) Add Review
Bode, Robert
Music
Average Rating: 8.7
Reviews
Posted Jan. 22, 2008 at 8:43pm
Teaching Style: Mixture
Grading: Easy
Availability Outside Class: Average
Homework Load: Low
Chorale and Chamber Singers

Overall Rating: 9.0

Recommended
Comments:
It's only choir, I know, but Bode is amazing! The funniest, most engaging professor you'll find in the music department, Bode is simply a delight to be around. He is the best vocal teacher I've ever worked with and is a very gifted conductor and director.
Posted Dec. 4, 2006 at 7:40pm
Teaching Style: Mixture
Grading: Average
Availability Outside Class: Good
Homework Load: Average
19th Century Music History, Conducting, Chorale

Overall Rating: 8.0

Recommended
Comments:
Ah where to begin. For starters, Dr. Bode is an amazing professor. His lectures in Music History were really fun and interesting, and it helps that he loves the subject matter. He is mostly a really great guy who is open to meeting outside of class, and while you have to work hard in his classes, it really pays off and he is a fair grader. He is a great conductor and is good at conveying conducting techniques, and I think he does a pretty good job with the Chorale. However. Dr. Bode can have a very caustic and sarcastic sense of humor sometimes, and if you are sensitive to such things it would probably be best to stay away from him. Dr. Bode is one of those professors who brings out the best in some people and the worst in others, mostly because he can occasionally come across as somewhat mean. This is a very small percentage of the time, however, and if you are a serious dedicated student you should have no problem--you will, in fact, probably enjoy his classes immensely. If you are a music minor or looking for distribution, TAKE 19TH CENTURY MUSIC HISTORY FROM DR. BODE. If you are a serious music student interested in conducting, TAKE CONDUCTING FROM DR. BODE. However, if you are an insecure, sensitive non-music major with little interest in music, STAY AWAY FROM DR. BODE. That's my advice. Still, when all is said and done, 19th Century Music History has been one of my top 3 favorite classes at Whitman.
Posted Nov. 6, 2005 at 1:49pm
Teaching Style: Mainly Lecture
Grading: Average
Availability Outside Class: Good
Homework Load: Low
20th Century Music History

Overall Rating: 9.0

Recommended
Comments:
Dr. Bode is an amazing professor, musician, and person. He knows everything there is to know about music and his class is inspirational, fascinating, and at times hilarious. His passion for music is always obvious, making subject matter interesting which could otherwise be reaaally boring. When I started taking the class I was incredibly stressed out, and when I went in and talked to him he gave me a realistic view of the situation - he said the class was difficult but he knew I could do well. I decided to stick it out, and after the first listening quiz he sent me a personal email telling me that he knew I'd been stressed, so he wanted me to know I'd done well. He's not an extremely easy grader, but he's sympathetic and kind, and he knows if you're a hard worker and want to succeed and will always give you the benefit of the doubt. Basically, the class is hard and a big time commitment but it's definitely not impossible, and it's fun if you enjoy the material and the music. Dr. Bode is one of the best teachers I've ever had and I would recommend him one hundred percent.