LiveWire Network Peer Answers Peer Support Teen Forums Tech Forums College Forums 232 users online 275509 members 30 active today Advertise Here Sign In
TeenCollegeTechPhotos | Quizzes | LiveSecret | Memberlist | Dictionary | FAQ
You have 1 new message.
Emergency Help
Until you sign up you can't do much. Yes, it's free.

Membername:
Password:
Already have an account?
Invite Friends
Active Members
Groups
Contests
Moderators
0 online / 0 MPM
Fresh Topics
  LiveWire / My Forums / Prof Reviews / Physics / Detail

(+) Add Review
Burciaga, Juan
Physics
Average Rating: 3.1
Reviews
Posted April 8, 2009 at 6:55pm
Teaching Style: Mainly Lecture
Grading: Average
Availability Outside Class: Average
Homework Load: Average
PHYS 145

Overall Rating: 1.0

Not Recommended
Comments:
I switched to a professor whom I know was difficult to understand because I hated having class with Burciaga so much. I didn't like his teaching style, or his attitude. He was very condescending.
Posted Jan. 8, 2008 at 3:07pm
Grading: Hard
Availability Outside Class: Good
Physics 155

Overall Rating: 3.0

Not Recommended
Comments:
Professor Burciaga mentions in his syllabus that he, as a teacher, is only there to suppliment what can be learned from the textbook. Lectures were often confusing and poorly organized, and only after I began learning solely from the textbook did I start doing decently on his tests. On the upside, he is very available outside of class and has a hilarious understated sense of humor. Unfortunately, these qualities do not make up for his poor teaching philosophy.
Posted Dec. 28, 2007 at 3:16pm
Homework Load: High
Physics 155

Overall Rating: 3.0

Not Recommended
Comments:
Terrible teaching style and very difficult. Luckily he is pretty easy to contact for numerous questions.
Posted May 11, 2007 at 7:00pm
phys 156

Overall Rating: 4.0

Not Recommended
Comments:
I took only the latter 156 from him, and I much preferred my previous physics teacher. His lectures are fine, good and humerous, but you WILL get a worse grade if you take this class from him. His tests are worth 30 points each, with three questions, 10 points each. The questions are graded with -1 per mistake, but based on his point system for marking off, they should be worth closer to 15 points each. With these long questions composed of several steps, if you make two mistakes, almost recommended, then b-. If you make three, then 70%. I felt I had a B on my last test, got a 66%, one problem 7/10 due only to bad calculator error that impacted subsequent answers. Last physics class I got a B, this time I will get a C.
Posted April 1, 2007 at 12:49pm
Teaching Style: Mixture
Grading: Average
Physics 155 and 156

Overall Rating: 6.0

Neutral
Comments:
I had Professor Burciaga for Physics 155 last semester, and really liked him. He had a teaching style that made a lot of sense to me, and he was accesible and easy on grading. This semester I have him again for 156, and maybe its the material, but I can't seem to understand a word that comes out of his mouth. Its like his teaching abilities has vanished, and he just rambles on and makes no sense.

In conclusion, great for 155, awful for 156.
Posted Mar. 27, 2007 at 10:08pm
General Physics

Overall Rating: 4.0

Not Recommended
Comments:
Professor Burciaga seems to really care about his students. He really wants them to learn physics and succeed. However, this goal gets lost sometimes. Oftentimes I felt that lectures were not very useful. When the tests came we always knew what types of problems would be on the tests, yet there was always some sort of surprise. And he is very strict about grading. Because the tests are worth so few points, a simple mistake could result in a much lower grade. He is available often, however, and he always makes an effort to have review sessions prior to each test.
Posted Feb. 4, 2007 at 1:05pm
Physics 155

Overall Rating: 1.0

Not Recommended
Comments:
I disliked this professor immensely. The tests were extremely difficult, if you got more than 20 out of 30 points, that was considered good. Maybe it was just me, but I just could not learn from his lectures, I learned nothing, and I mean nothing from this class. Very disappointing, I was expecting better from Whitman.