LiveWire Network Peer Answers Peer Support Teen Forums Tech Forums College Forums 205 users online 275509 members 30 active today Advertise Here Sign In
TeenCollegeTechPhotos | Quizzes | LiveSecret | Memberlist | Dictionary | FAQ
You have 1 new message.
Emergency Help
Until you sign up you can't do much. Yes, it's free.

Membername:
Password:
Already have an account?
Invite Friends
Active Members
Groups
Contests
Moderators
0 online / 0 MPM
Fresh Topics
  LiveWire / My Forums / Prof Reviews / Biology / Detail

(+) Add Review
Golden, Kendra
Biology
Average Rating: 4.4
Reviews
Posted Sep. 30, 2008 at 8:19pm
Teaching Style: Mainly Lecture
Grading: Hard
Availability Outside Class: Poor
Homework Load: Low
Cell Bio

Overall Rating: 1.0

Not Recommended
Comments:
I am extremely displeased with this professor. She doesn't know her own lecture material- she often read right out of the book. She was very unfocused, vague, and unhelpful. Her tests were very skewed: She spent 10 minutes out of 3 weeks of lecturing on a topic- and then it was 30% of the test grade!

The worst biology teach I have ever had. AVOID at all costs.
Posted April 10, 2008 at 5:43pm
Grading: Hard
Availability Outside Class: Average
Homework Load: Average
Cell Bio

Overall Rating: 4.0

Neutral
Comments:
Meh. I was kind of disappointed by this class. She's kind of disorganized in lecture and you get the feeling that she hasn't prepared very much - lots of fumbling with powerpoint. She makes it hard to take notes because she only writes a bare outline on the chalkboard and mainly rambles a lot orally while flipping through PP slides. It's hard to tell where to focus your studying, and even if you study a lot, she always has a few (or several) questions on her exams that seem to come out of nowhere.

Her tests are also insanely detailed and very difficult. They're frustrating because each question is only worth 1-2 points, so even if you have some questions that you can answer really well it's easy to get nit-picked down to a bad grade on the other, tougher ones.

The labs are okay - I thought some of the experiments were kind of cookie-cutter, but they were a good experience overall. No lab reports aside from some quick question-and-answer write-ups occasionally, and those were easy.

I think this class would be a lot better if she could place more of the details of her lecture into context and introduce more background as to why we care about this particular RAB protein, or whatever. Having a macroscopic interlude now and then would make the microscopic stuff a lot more interesting.
Posted Nov. 12, 2007 at 8:50pm
Grading: Easy
Nutrition

Overall Rating: 5.0

Neutral
Comments:
I took this class for distribution and it served it's purpose. The lectures are tireless and boring, and the tests are crazy detailed. But everything comes straight from the book. Basically all you have to do is read the book and take the tests at the end of the chapter. If I had known that I'd probably have done really well in this class. It's a struggle to get up in the morning to go to this class when I know it's going to be so insanely boring. I learned most of this stuff in high school health class.
Posted Jan. 3, 2007 at 3:05pm
Grading: Average
Homework Load: Average
nutrition

Overall Rating: 5.0

Not Recommended
Comments:
Kendra's nutrition class is deceivingly easy. Her lectures are right out of the textbook, and go over very general topics, however her tests come along and they are insanely detailed. No matter how much someone has studied, there will inevitably be questions on the tests that are completely out of the blue. She also does not present the material in a very interesting manner, extremelly boring.
Posted Nov. 8, 2006 at 10:51am
Grading: Average
Nutrition

Overall Rating: 7.0

Recommended
Comments:
Nutrition was a fun class. The year I took it (fall '04), there wasn't a textbook and all of the material came from lectures and occasional handouts, which I really liked. (I understand there is a textbook she's been using now.)

Kendra herself is a very dynamic person, leaping around the classroom and engaging the mass of students (~50 of us) in her lectures. Lots of slides. Occasional videos.

Her tests are pretty hard, but if you study, you should do fine on them. Grading comes from the tests and from a class-wide semester-long project (my year, we made a nutrition float for the Walla Walla holiday parade; this year, they're making a 'local foods' cookbook).

All in all, a low-key class that teaches you some valuable skills.